Thursday, May 6, 2010

One more class...

We are almost done with all the classes that we are required to take from our adoptin worker, Andrea.  It has been a lot of late night classes, but we have been learning a lot of different things.  Our last class is on Tuesday night and I am excited to get them finished then we can start with the rest of our homestudy.  We still have a few interviews with Andrea and we need to finish up the foster care license.  There are things in our home that need to be changed so that we can protect the children from any harm.
I am excited and scared all at the same time.  During all the classes we have heard so manyt scarey stories about some of the kids from adoptive parents.  They of course are the extreme problems that they have had to deal with.  Kids that have been returned from prospective adoptive homes.  I know that I can deal with a lot of issues and problems that some these children have been through or are going through, yet I don't know if I can handle the extreme cases.  There will be things that I am sure I will have to learn how to deal with and help them learn to deal with.
When Rob and I have spoken to Andrea about what age group we are looking at each time she replies back with "that is a large range".  We were looking at 0-14.  Andrea said we would probably want to make it a smaller range so we changed it to 0-10.  She again said that was a big range.  I am not sure what she thinks is the right range for us.  We really don't care what age range they are.  We really are open to a wide range of children, especially since we are looking for a sibling group.  I am hoping she will explain to us why she says that what we have chosen is such a wide range.
I called and left a message for her yesterday and am hoping she gets back to us soon.  I would like to get this going so we aren't having to retake all the classes over again.  We will if we have to, but I really don't want to.

No comments: