One of the many classes we have to take to become adoptive parents is "Attatchment Parenting". It is an 18hr class divided into six sessions. I wasn't sure what to expect out of this class. I was hoping to learn about how to help children and us as parents build that attatchment bond that comes naturally with birth children. I understood some of the concepts that they were trying to teach and I can accept some of the methods that come with what they are trying to help us understand. Yet there are somethings that I don't fully agree with yet. The children coming to our home are going to have many issues and so called baggage that we are going to have to deal with. There are certian ways to deal with a child that is throwing a fit for no real reason that we can see. I don't believe that coudling a child who is throwing a fit just to get their way is going to work with me very well. How can a child understand or learn the value of right and wrong or consequences if they are given into or are never taught that no means no and yes means yes. I understand that some of these children are coming from an enviroment where there was no consistency in their discipline nor in their happiness. They are dealing with great loss and hurts that many do not understand. I hope that I can come to better understand how to deal with such anger, frustration, loss, hurt, insecurities, no self worth, abandonment, abuse, and severe pain so that I can be a good mother, a support system, and an anchor for them to grow and become the best person they can become.
No comments:
Post a Comment